Today I introduced my husband to flax and chia seeds. To his surprise, he actually liked the breakfast fruit bowl I made each of us on this sunny winter morning. He doesn’t like grapes or blackberries much– so I snuck those in too!
The entire bowl is just under 270 calories and kept us full and energized for several hours.
Here’s the simple and quick recipe:
- Banana – 3/4 of a whole banana
- Blackberries – 1/4 cup
- Black Seedless Grapes – 1/2 cup
- Golden Delicious Apple – 1/2 an apple
- Chia Seeds – 1.5 teaspoons
- Flax Seeds – 2 teaspoons
- Lemon Juice – 2 teaspoons
Tip : Cut the apple in small cubes and toss in lemon juice before adding into the bowl. The lemon juice prevents the apple from browning.
- Put apple pieces and grapes into a bowl
- Slice the banana and add on top of the apple and grapes
- Add the blackberries
- Sprinkle Chia and Flax seeds over the fruit
- Enjoy with great company!
My husband doesn’t drink milk. Seeing as chia seeds are a good source of calcium, it’s a great addition to fruit in the morning or shakes after a workout. Chia seeds also have a lot of potassium and antioxidants. Potassium is important for muscle strength, metabolism, blood pressure, as well as heart and kidney health. Since it helps with stress, chia is a perfect addition to any meal before I make my husband go shopping with me!
Flaxseed is great for stabilizing blood sugar and could help lower cholesterol. There’s nothing worse than craving sweets or an unhealthy snack a couple hours after breakfast!